Every day I do a little cooking, loving, playing, praising, crafting, praying, and learning as I "Rain" it all in.


Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fall Gardening

Now, don't get me wrong, I am NO gardening expert...I learn from what others have done and try what works for me. Our garden is 60x40 feet...yes, it's LARGE! It's too large for me to keep up with the way that we had our rows spread out and far apart in the  past, and I've been wanting to try raised beds for some time. I've also wanted to do what is know as "companion gardening"  within the beds because I don't want to use any pesticides on my plants. So, after MUCH discussion (sometimes heated disagreements), I finally convinced my husband that we needed some raised beds. Hopefully it will help with drainage, keeping weeds under control, making better use of the space, and make it just plain prettier to look at. 

So, my plan is to plant in these four 3x6 feet beds and on the opposite side of the garden, we will plant our rows of corn and okra and I will slowly add either more beds or make some sort of separate are for berry bushes and other perennial fruits and vegetables. I also want our garden to be a place to hang out and play with the kids, so I plan to incorporate some fun little things as it develops. (these raised bed kits and much more at Gardener's Supply)
Raised beds


My critter catcher AKA Harry Dog

No comments:

Post a Comment